Kippur and Sex in the City

Been many many years since I had a Yom Kippur outside Israel. Although New York is a very Jewish city in many ways it was a very different experience. My Jewish friends, all great admirers of a handsome guy in a tight shirt, have suddenly become pious almost orthodox saints. All the talk was about fasting techniques and fabulous post Kippur dinners. The non-Jewish ones were mostly oblivious with the occasional "mention me if you get to speak to God this weekend".
Friday afternoon as I was heading home (earlier then usual, there are some benefits to holidays) the shuttle bus was stopped by crowds gathering on Lex Ave and looking very excited. As we slowly crept forward in the backed-up traffic I got a glimpse of the famous Sex-and-the-City trio: Carrie, Miranda and Charlotte posing in front of a glamorous store for the filming of the upcoming movie. Before moving to NY I watched this show carefully trying to learn the ways of the locals. Turns out life here are crazier that you can ever see on TV.
Having touched the celebrities I headed home and actually managed to fast for the first time in my life. Not even sure why but it was another new experience. Maybe the open stores and business as usual atmosphere so contrasted to home on this special day made me want to do it differently.
Here is a glimpse of the crowds. Going to eat now!


Comments

Unknown said…
Love this picture.

Popular posts from this blog

No Gays in Iran

Gay Tel Aviv

Craigslist Scams